• Eeerika

Mjölkallergi USA

Hej

Tänkte fråga om någon av er föräldrar där ute har någon koll på utbud av mjölfria produkter i USA. Ska åka dit över sommaren och min son är allergisk mot mjölk och soja. Tips?

• Svar på tråden Mjölkallergi USA
  • Sale

Jag har varit i USA flera gånger och det finns laktosfri mjölk etc. precis som i sverige så det ska inte vara några problem. Har bara köpt i mataffären så har tyvärr ingen koll på hur det ser ut på restauranger etc.

• Sticka
    Sale skrev 2014-04-23 12:25:07 följande:
    Jag har varit i USA flera gånger och det finns laktosfri mjölk etc. precis som i sverige så det ska inte vara några problem. Har bara köpt i mataffären så har tyvärr ingen koll på hur det ser ut på restauranger etc.
    Vad hjälper det med att det finns laktosfri mjölk när hennes son inte tål mjölkprotein…?  
  • Annelie 76

Mjölkfritt tror jag inte är större problem men sojafritt är värre. De har soja i mycket fler produkter än vi och det är ofta sojaolja som används som vegetabilisk olja. Även i saker som inte borde innehålla olja som jordnötssmör osv. Lusläs innehållsförteckningarna och var beredd på att de inte alls är lika detaljerade som här. De har andra regler för vad som måste stå med.

• isabellab
    Eeerika skrev 2014-04-23 12:00:16 följande:
    Hej

Tänkte fråga om någon av er föräldrar där ute har någon koll på utbud av mjölfria produkter i USA. Ska åka dit över sommaren och min son är allergisk mot mjölk och soja. Tips?

Vart ska du?

Whole foods har mycket bra alternativ.
  • Sale

Sticka: Det står inte att sonen inte tål mjölkprotein. Många är bara överkänsliga mot laktos och väldigt få är intoleranta mot mjölkprotein.

• yndra

Jag skulle saga att utbudet ar mkt storre och bredare har i usa an det ar i sverige!
    Det ar Inga problem att knalla in i vilket mataffar som helst och hitta de produkter du behover.

Visserligen har de andra regler for markning av mat har borta, men det ar ocksa lattare att bli stamd pga dalig varudeklaration sa TS du behover inte oroa dig for varken soja eller mjolk

• Eeerika
    isabellab skrev 2014-04-23 12:36:52 följande:

Vart ska du?
    Whole foods har mycket bra alternativ.
    Vi ska vara i CA både LA, Palm Springs, San Diego och SF

Men låter bra att höra att det finns lättillgängligt, jag är mest fundersam på restauranger om det går att få mjölkfritt där. 
  • evaoregon
    Eeerika skrev 2014-05-04 22:02:45 följande:
    Vi ska vara i CA både LA, Palm Springs, San Diego och SF

Men låter bra att höra att det finns lättillgängligt, jag är mest fundersam på restauranger om det går att få mjölkfritt där. 
    Det tror jag inte är något problem?  Är det enbart mjölk eller alla mjölkprodukter som ost, smör, yoghurt, glass etc som han är allergisk mot?  

Vi har en vän i Los Angeles som ofta äter ute på restaurang och hon tål varken vanlig mjölk, ost eller glass.  Hon verkar inte ha några problem.  Det brukar finnas en hel del att välja på utan mjölkprodukter.  
  • Eeerika
    evaoregon skrev 2014-05-04 22:15:53 följande:
    Det tror jag inte är något problem?  Är det enbart mjölk eller alla mjölkprodukter som ost, smör, yoghurt, glass etc som han är allergisk mot?  

Vi har en vän i Los Angeles som ofta äter ute på restaurang och hon tål varken vanlig mjölk, ost eller glass.  Hon verkar inte ha några problem.  Det brukar finnas en hel del att välja på utan mjölkprodukter.  
    Han är allergisk mot allt, så det måste vara helt mjölkfritt. Men är det ordfrasen Dairy free jag bör använde, känns som milk free inte är rätt hehe
  • evaoregon
    Eeerika skrev 2014-05-04 22:29:07 följande:
    Han är allergisk mot allt, så det måste vara helt mjölkfritt. Men är det ordfrasen Dairy free jag bör använde, känns som milk free inte är rätt hehe
    Ja, dairy free låter mer korrekt.  
  • evaoregon
    Eeerika skrev 2014-05-04 22:29:07 följande:
    Lite tips:

Whether you're avoiding dairy for health or ethics, you can still enjoy dining out at your favorite restaurant. Keep these tips in mind so you don't end up accidentally eating dairy while out or if you're new to a dairy-free lifestyle and want to know what options are available to you.

Breakfast

Pancakes, waffles, and french toast are almost always made using milk, buttermilk, or butter, so avoid these items unless the menu specifically says that they're dairy-free. You may have to skip omelets and other egg dishes since they're often made with milk, have added cheese, or are cooked in butter, but ask your server if the chef can whip them up without dairy. If your meal comes with toast, make sure you specify that you'd like it dry. Home fries tend to be safe, but check with your server to ensure they're cooked in oil instead of butter. Fresh fruit with granola is always an option, and these days, many places offer soy milk in place of cow's milk. Call ahead to find out if that's an option, and if not, ask if you can bring a small container of your own dairy-free beverage.

Appetizers

When ordering soup avoid bisques, chowders, and cream-based flavors such as potato leek, opt for broth-based bowls of miso or vegetable (or meat) stock instead. If you enjoy salad before your main course, ask for vinaigrette or bottles of oil and vinegar. If your server places a bread basket on the table accompanied with the usual butter, ask for a small dish of olive oil. Skip the artichoke dip and choose hummus. If an item has a melted cheese topping such as flat bread pizza or potato skins, just as the server to hold it.

Lunch and Dinner

On sandwiches and burgers, make sure there's no sauce or condiment spread that might contain a milk ingredient — you can always ask to hold the pesto (if it contains cheese) or sour cream. When ordering pizza, load up on the toppings and ask your waiter or waitress to skip the mozzarella and goat cheese. If you have a craving for fish or chicken, ask that it be grilled rather than pan fried or baked since chefs tend to load on the butter. When it comes to cooked veggies, specifically request that they not be cooked with butter or topped with a sprinkle of grated parm to look pretty. Pasta with marinara or roasted veggies seem to be a safe option, just be sure there's no butter involved. You might have the best luck at Asian restaurants since Italian, Indian, and Mexican food can be heavy on the dairy.

Dessert

Unfortunately most homemade treats contain milk, cream, buttermilk, or butter, so you'll have to avoid the cookies, cakes, and pies. Ask the server if they serve dairy-free sorbet and pair it with a side of fresh fruit.

Always

The most important thing is to tell your server from the get-go that you can't have dairy, so they can help you order a meal that accommodates your diet. Try to choose items that most likely will be free of dairy products, but don't be shy about asking questions, especially if the description on the menu is unclear. When your plate is served and there's melted butter on the toast you specifically ordered dry, or there's an unexpected sprinkling of cheese on your salad, don't hesitate to send it back. Don't worry about annoying the waitperson or chef with concerns or requests. They want to ensure that you have a good meal, and if they give you an attitude about your dietary concerns, then they don't deserve your business.

• Eeerika
    evaoregon skrev 2014-05-04 22:38:59 följande:
    Lite tips:

Whether you're avoiding dairy for health or ethics, you can still enjoy dining out at your favorite restaurant. Keep these tips in mind so you don't end up accidentally eating dairy while out or if you're new to a dairy-free lifestyle and want to know what options are available to you.

Breakfast

Pancakes, waffles, and french toast are almost always made using milk, buttermilk, or butter, so avoid these items unless the menu specifically says that they're dairy-free. You may have to skip omelets and other egg dishes since they're often made with milk, have added cheese, or are cooked in butter, but ask your server if the chef can whip them up without dairy. If your meal comes with toast, make sure you specify that you'd like it dry. Home fries tend to be safe, but check with your server to ensure they're cooked in oil instead of butter. Fresh fruit with granola is always an option, and these days, many places offer soy milk in place of cow's milk. Call ahead to find out if that's an option, and if not, ask if you can bring a small container of your own dairy-free beverage.

Appetizers

When ordering soup avoid bisques, chowders, and cream-based flavors such as potato leek, opt for broth-based bowls of miso or vegetable (or meat) stock instead. If you enjoy salad before your main course, ask for vinaigrette or bottles of oil and vinegar. If your server places a bread basket on the table accompanied with the usual butter, ask for a small dish of olive oil. Skip the artichoke dip and choose hummus. If an item has a melted cheese topping such as flat bread pizza or potato skins, just as the server to hold it.

Lunch and Dinner

On sandwiches and burgers, make sure there's no sauce or condiment spread that might contain a milk ingredient you can always ask to hold the pesto (if it contains cheese) or sour cream. When ordering pizza, load up on the toppings and ask your waiter or waitress to skip the mozzarella and goat cheese. If you have a craving for fish or chicken, ask that it be grilled rather than pan fried or baked since chefs tend to load on the butter. When it comes to cooked veggies, specifically request that they not be cooked with butter or topped with a sprinkle of grated parm to look pretty. Pasta with marinara or roasted veggies seem to be a safe option, just be sure there's no butter involved. You might have the best luck at Asian restaurants since Italian, Indian, and Mexican food can be heavy on the dairy.

Dessert

Unfortunately most homemade treats contain milk, cream, buttermilk, or butter, so you'll have to avoid the cookies, cakes, and pies. Ask the server if they serve dairy-free sorbet and pair it with a side of fresh fruit.

Always

The most important thing is to tell your server from the get-go that you can't have dairy, so they can help you order a meal that accommodates your diet. Try to choose items that most likely will be free of dairy products, but don't be shy about asking questions, especially if the description on the menu is unclear. When your plate is served and there's melted butter on the toast you specifically ordered dry, or there's an unexpected sprinkling of cheese on your salad, don't hesitate to send it back. Don't worry about annoying the waitperson or chef with concerns or requests. They want to ensure that you have a good meal, and if they give you an attitude about your dietary concerns, then they don't deserve your business.

TACK =)
Svar på tråden Mjölkallergi USA