• Jo345

Namn

Hej på er, 

Sorry I'm switching to English as it will be easier for me to ask this way... 

I'm clearly not Swedish but my husband is. We are unsure about the connotations of the name we are considering for our baby boy who is due soon so I was hoping to get some advice from you. We live in the UK but will soon move to Sweden to be closer to his family, so it's important the name works well there and since my husband hasn't lived there for almost 10 years we are a bit unsure.

We like the name Mateo. His name then would be Mateo Eriksson. Does it sound like an odd combination? I'm worried it may sound like a foreigner/immigrant or even worse low educated immigrant name, especially given the odd combination of first and last name. I have nothing against immigrants and I'll be one myself, but I know people rely on stereotypes and that could impact his life -e.g. I know there are studies showing that some people even make job hiring decisions based on names alone, even before meeting the candidate- so I want to make a good choice for my baby!

Thanks so much in advance, 

Jo

• Svar på tråden Namn
  • fluu

Mateo (or Matteo, as it's more often spelled in Sweden) is not a weird name. It has acually risen quite a bit in popularity lately. I would not say that it sounds "White trash" or anything like that.

Jag är Narcissus, en fåfäng fakir SAVE ME KAIZER!
  • MallaL

Since you're not swedish you can name your child what you want . It will just sound nice, "oh, his mother is australian/dutch/whatever", that explains the name .

• SnackaSkit
    MallaL skrev 2015-06-30 19:11:05 följande:

Since you're not swedish you can name your child what you want . It will just sound nice, "oh, his mother is australian/dutch/whatever", that explains the name .

Mateo kan man heta utan att ha en engelskspråkig förälder. Folk tänker inte "varför heter han Mateo och Eriksson i efternamn!?" Möjligt att folk skulle höja på ögonbrynen om någon hette Abdulla Eriksson, men knappast om ungen heter Mateo.

För övrig är Mateo ett typ spansk-Italienskt namn.
  • MallaL
    SnackaSkit skrev 2015-06-30 19:15:53 följande:

Mateo kan man heta utan att ha en engelskspråkig förälder. Folk tänker inte "varför heter han Mateo och Eriksson i efternamn!?" Möjligt att folk skulle höja på ögonbrynen om någon hette Abdulla Eriksson, men knappast om ungen heter Mateo.

För övrig är Mateo ett typ spansk-Italienskt namn.

Yes, spanish-italian. Mateo Eriksson for me sounds like you have at least one non-swedish parent, but I guess that depends on where you live. But as I said I think you get away with more if one parent is non-swedish, no matter where you are from.
  • SnackaSkit
    MallaL skrev 2015-06-30 19:23:31 följande:

Yes, spanish-italian. Mateo Eriksson for me sounds like you have at least one non-swedish parent, but I guess that depends on where you live. But as I said I think you get away with more if one parent is non-swedish, no matter where you are from.

Men sluta snacka engelska.

Mateo hette folk i min klass på 80-talet. Det klingar inte utländskt. -.-
  • Anonym (P)
    SnackaSkit skrev 2015-06-30 19:28:39 följande:

Men sluta snacka engelska.

Mateo hette folk i min klass på 80-talet. Det klingar inte utländskt. -.-

Var då? Här hette alla killar på 80-talet Anton, Daniel, Erik, Fredrik, Albin, Love etc etc
  • SnackaSkit
    Anonym (P) skrev 2015-06-30 19:31:33 följande:

Var då? Här hette alla killar på 80-talet Anton, Daniel, Erik, Fredrik, Albin, Love etc etc

Vasastan i Sthlm. Engelbrekt skolan.
  • Mascaraklumpar
    MallaL skrev 2015-06-30 19:11:05 följande:

With most people you never get a chance to tell them where your parents are from, so if you have an English sounding name and are fluent in Swedish you will be judged as white trash most of the time anyway - especially if your last name is Swedish. Mateo works fine in Sweden, however. If you want it to be even less of a problem then just add another t to it.
  • Jo345
    MallaL skrev 2015-06-30 19:23:31 följande:
    Yes, spanish-italian. Mateo Eriksson for me sounds like you have at least one non-english parenteral, but I guess That Depends on Where You Live. But as I said I think you get away with more if one parent is non-English, No Matter Where You Are From.
    Hi MallaL. can you clarify for me what you meant with "depends on where you live"? We are planning to move to or near Malmo. Tack!
  • MallaL
    Jo345 skrev 2015-07-01 10:17:13 följande:

Hi MallaL. can you clarify for me what you meant with "depends on where you live"? We are planning to move to or near Malmo. Tack!

I just mean that where I live, in "my" suburb outside Stockholm I have never met a Matteo (the only one I know is my german collegue's italian boyfriend ).

The boys in my street are named things like Lucas, Noel, Lukas, Erik, William, Elias, Hugo, Axel, Arvid etc.
Svar på tråden Namn