• MaximusAurelius

Is name Fladya too weird?

Hej allihopa!
    I hope me writing in English is not a problem here :) we are expecting a baby girl and we were thinking of names. One of them is the name Fladya. In our language it means breeze. Our concern with this name, is if its too weird for Swedish language and if it has any funny rhymes in Swedish, or if its associated with any non pleasant Swedish words. Not being able to speak in Swedish yet, makes us in a tough spot to choose names that are not common in Sweden, as për the above concern. We have another ?safe? swedish name which its very common here, but we want to know what you think about our main preference. Thanks in advance! 

Flicka, namn
  • Svar på tråden Is name Fladya too weird?
  • Embla twopointoh
    MaximusAurelius skrev 2022-07-02 13:26:49 följande:

Hmm I am not sure actually how to write the pronunciation ,but its like Flad-ja ( ja- like ?yes? in swedish.)

If it?s a common or established name in your culture I don?t think it?s weird to call a girl Fladya. But, as with all names that are very rare or unheard of, Fladya will have to get used to repeating her name, it will be misspelled, and it?s always harder to remember a name that you haven?t heard before.

I can?t think of any obvious rhymes or negative associations with the name Fladya in Swedish.  

• Anonym (Fladdra?)

Flad-ja is how the swedish politician Annie Lööf says fladdra.

Thats the closest to a odd swedish word, Fladdra. Fladdra means something that ripples/contorts/shakes in a breeze or when shaken. The closest english word is "flabby". Fladdra can be exactly that ("My flabby armflab flabs around when i wave") , but can also be a a flag on a pole, a piece of cloth hanged to dry, inflatable tube man or something that moves with the wind.

• Anonym (Fladdra)

It will sound as if a person says "fladdra" but is unable to pronunciate the letter R. 
    Fladdra=flutter

• trollhona
    MaximusAurelius skrev 2022-07-02 12:26:18 följande:
    Is name Fladya too weird?

Hej allihopa!
    I hope me writing in English is not a problem here :) we are expecting a baby girl and we were thinking of names. One of them is the name Fladya. In our language it means breeze. Our concern with this name, is if its too weird for Swedish language and if it has any funny rhymes in Swedish, or if its associated with any non pleasant Swedish words. Not being able to speak in Swedish yet, makes us in a tough spot to choose names that are not common in Sweden, as për the above concern. We have another ?safe? swedish name which its very common here, but we want to know what you think about our main preference. Thanks in advance! 

Instinctively I'd say no. Thinking as a swedish person I have zero clue as to pronounce that, and I would not know if it's a boy or a girl. That is my first concern, that your child will be met with some issues just based on that.
    Secondly I guess the name is pronounced like "fladdja" in swedish, that means "floppy" or "flutter". not the best pick for a girl.

If you plan to live in Sweden why pick a name that will automatically have the child not fit in? Give the child a name that is more common in Sweden and you can use this as a middle name if you must.
  • Anonym (E)

I also think it sounds weird. Tha name Nadja sounds similar but is a common name in Sweden, Nadya if You want it to sound more foreign.

Svar på tråden Is name Fladya too weird?