• Wed 25 Nov 2020 11:42
    706 visningar
    18 svar
    +1

Help to translate Måltidssång by Bellman

AlexanderFionov skrev 2020-11-25 11:09:08 följande:

I am translating Maltidssang to Russian. I have translated all but I can not understand the next:

Och du, som med en ärlig minPlär dina vänner häda jämtOch dem förtalar vid ditt vin,Och det liksom på skämt,Och du, som ej försvarar dem,Fästän ur deras flaskor, du,Du väl kan slicka dina fem,Vad svarar du väl nu?

I understand all words but I can not understand the phrases. Can you explain me please? 

TRÅDSTARTARENS TILLÄGGSKOMMENTAR 2020-11-25 11:21

I unerstand that Fästän must be replaced by Fastän. I need to understand whole text. Why somebody can "slicka fem"? "Slicka" the vine from bottles? Why?

Also I can not fully understand the phrase

Och sen med en ovänlig min

Ryck remmaren ur hans trut!

In particular, I can not understand the sentence "Ryck remmaren ur hans trut". Is it idiomatic phrase? What is the meaning of it?

"Slicka fem" means "lick your fingers". Or, in other words, clean your hand.

I would translate the phrase "ryck remmaren ur hans trut" to "grab the rummer from his mouth". Meaning is denying someone to drink in a very physical way.
  • Wed 25 Nov 2020 12:25
    +1
    FtS70 skrev 2020-11-25 11:43:12 följande:

So perhaps:

And then with a harsh expression

snatch the glass from his gob (i e to stop him from drinking more)

I think I could live with that

It's bloody hard to translate elderly swedish lyrics - I've tried with O holy night, and I'm still working on it
  • Fri 27 Nov 2020 06:57
    +1
    BuoBä skrev 2020-11-26 11:34:19 följande:

Yes "press" is referring to a wine press, and he's not working but drinking from it.

Maybe both, drinking while working was quite common in those days
Svar på tråden Help to translate Måltidssång by Bellman